Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Besides Training I am also Opening a Business in the US

I know what you're thinking. You don't tell us anything. Well, I do, it just sometimes takes me longer because of those gnawing moments of self doubt.

Well, today I am feeling great so I feel like I can divulge. It will be me, my friend Klementina, and my brother, Ed. See, Klementina and I help small and medium companies go international by taking care of their international communications and Press Office. We also go to trade fairs with them and sneak around to check out the competition and set up meetings with journalists, potential partners, and clients. Ed is a professional illustrator and works with Ad agencies, etc.

I have wanted to do something in the States for a long time now. I even wrote a business plan a year ago to do this very thing. I thought, what better business card could we have than the experience of actually becoming an international company ourselves?! But I was too afraid. That's why I didn't even tell you about it. I thought you would make fun of me (but you wouldn't do that, would you?)

Then, fast forward to June. I was on my way back to Italy from a great two weeks with family and friends and I realized that what I really wanted to do was work with my twin brother. So BINGO. We are finally making it happen.

Turns out my fear was of what I didn't know, but it paralysed me into not doing the research I needed to do to get over it. Hmmf!

About the time I started getting my training life together, I decided that I could put the rest of my life in order too. I started taking care of my house differently, and finishing other tasks rather than putting them off. I decided to be one of those people who can do a million things WELL.

I started reading sites like sba.gov to get info on opening a business in America. I started asking questions and making appointments with friends and my accountant here. The more I asked around and read, the easier everything seemed. Cheaper, too! I guess just about anywhere in the world is cheaper to work than Italy.

So that is the news. Yes, I am still running the Association. Yes, it is doing much better than it has in the last thirty years. It is not completely failure proof yet, but it is a joy to run it now, as every day brings new members, volunteers, and ideas.

And, finally, I feel like this experience is one that I will take with me in all of my new adventures. Modelling my favourite successful people I realize that I can continue with the Association and let it complement my other work. That is a huge victory.   

No comments:

Post a Comment