Monday, September 19, 2011

Try not to spend money today

I have been observing my local family members lately. They are spending addicts. They need to get their daily fix. They look for any way they can to spend money they can justify as "necessary."

The way they do this is by going grocery shopping every day. Even if it's just a couple of things, they can justify this compulsive shopping as something they are doing for the family.  They still do the MAJOR GROCERY SHOPPING on the weekends but then supplement their mega-shopping with baby shopping every day.

Well that stuff adds up and by the looks of it, it's so NOT about the food. It's about the rush you get from spending money. It's not good.

I used to do something similar with grocery shopping and books. I called those "work expenses" even though I just liked having new books.

Now I go to the library for books and dvds and I try to challenge myself to go as many days as I can without spending anything. When I do, it's for bus tickets usually. I try to limit my grocery shopping to the big trips, although I do have lapses.

This might sound extreme, but saving money on a daily basis can be as big a rush as spending it. And it's better for your financial health. Believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment