Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day two of fake marathon training

I like following directions so I decided to put myself on a new fitness regimen. I am on day two of a Marathon training program for novices. I used to be a big (fat but consistent) runner, so following the novice plan makes me a bit itchy. Then again, I haven't run much at all for about 3 years (since I last ran a, my one and only, Marathon), so I think it's appropriate.

Week one is awesome. Yesterday was a rest day (so easy!). Today was 3 miles. I ran it nice and slow, rolled up my sleeves to try to fend off the farmer tan and felt great.

Then I came home, took the dog out, and rode my bike to work. Yes, that's two days in a row of riding my bike. And it was easier, too.

I had a new perspective on tired legs this morning. See, my real goal is to run an Ultra Marathon of 100 miles, but there were no training plans for zero to 100, so I am doing the Marathon plan first for a Marathon I do not plan to run, then going for the 50k plan, then the 100k and finally the 100 miler.

I guess this is a lot like planning for your phd when you haven't finished high school, but I don't care. I need a mission, and since at least part of my motivation is weight loss, I figure there will be no plateau if I keep increasing my milage.

And, at 100 miles, I just DARE my body to be fat. Who am I kidding? If I can run gd 100miles, WHO CARES???

Anyway Ultra training manuals say "Get used to running on tired legs". Check.

No comments:

Post a Comment