Friday, July 19, 2013

I was thinking out loud

Sorry, I didn't put an introduction on that last post. I started writing it last week when I had to make a huge tax payment and had three realizations.

My taxes are nearly half of what I earn.
I had the cash in the bank to cover what I had to pay.
I didn't feel like what I had to pay was unfair.

That makes me different than most of the people I know who work independently. Then I thought about it. There are those who complain about their taxes and those who don't.

What I found was that the people who complained about their taxes had something in common: they were open about the fact that they were actively evading taxes whenever and wherever possible.

Evasion was in the form of working under the table (taking cash for services and not issuing a bill) and writing off personal expenses (as opposed to work expenses). Justification for this was that "taxes are just too high. It's the only thing I can do to survive."

I know other business owners who never complain about their taxes. What they do talk about, though, is opening up to new markets and increasing revenue.

I really like to be around those kinds of people. They are optimists, hard workers, they see possibilities everywhere.

The tax complainers are boring. I have little patience for them. I do not want to be one.





No comments:

Post a Comment