Monday, December 5, 2011

Now that My Ship isn't Sinking Anymore

I'm starting to think about my role as the director of the Association. Am I really cut out to be the director of an Association that is NOT sinking? Where will I get the adrenaline now that we're not getting sued every two or three days? Running an organization that WORKS is so new to me.

Then again, the reason that it is working is that I am not really running it. Other people make it work. I've been thinking about who else could run it eventually. About a year ago I couldn't think of anyone stupid enough. Now I can think of a few really good people who would be great and wouldn't have to sacrifice nearly as much as we did (I'm talking about me and my partner in crime, D.T.) and they could probably make it run nicely into the future.

First thing, I think the person should be retired. That way they have some money coming in already and the time on their hands. Also, they should be smart and organized. All of these characteristics are things I don't possess but admire (Money, Time, Smarts, Organization). They should be friendly and have an easy time delegating authority. No control freaks allowed!

The search is on. Although I have not finished yet. I have some short and long-term goals to take care of first.

1. Pay off all debts (January 31, 2012)
2. Cultivate a positive and continuing relationship with an accounting office. Learn how to do as much as possible in-house. Make sure ALL past taxes are paid (even those from before my time. We get odd bills once in a while from like 8 years ago saying we haven't finished paying. Ugh!)
3. Get the carpets cleaned (they are DISGUSTING).
4. Create an emergency fund.
5. Automate our processes (Don't know what that means but it sounds like a good goal).
6. GET FUNDING from local and regional gov't.
7. Plan to move out of our building into a cheaper one with easier access.
8. Pat for our entire cinema series with corporate donations.

When this is done, maybe I can retire, too! I've got lots to do to get even close, but one by one I'll knock these off of my to-do list. And will keep you in the loop in the process. My new mantra is "You can do anything in 18 months" since that is how long it is taking us to pay off our debts (and we were seriously in the hole). After that, anything is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment