Thursday, November 3, 2011

As if our taxes weren't high enough

Now the aliquota for inps is going up to 28% on Friday (from 27%). Need I remind you that a regular salaried worker pays 9%?

Thanks to our friend, Eddie, for the news. He is closing his free-lance business the day the new percentage goes into effect.

Now, the government, which is already eliminating the simple tax numbers for those of using making less than 30,000 per year because there are "too many" of us, is making it even more appealing to evade taxes.

This comes on the heels of the dread I have been feeling all morning that SOMETHING must be done to change my situation. I am already trying to think of another investment plan since I will probably never be able to retire and get anything decent from either the American system or the Italian system, both of which I have consistently paid into but by the time my bones are too brittle to do anything it will have been too few years on either side of the pond.

This is a problem. I am thinking in lots of directions and I need to put it into action within the next two to three years. Here are some of my options.

1. Try to get a job in a company (ugh, but a steady paycheck would have its own reward).
2. Open a company with some other people doing similar work so we can save on accounting and go for bigger contracts).
3. Close my Partita Iva and opt for a Co.Co.Pro contract from clients (if they agree).
4. Close my Partita Iva and make less than 5,000 euros per year (ritenuta d'acconto)
5. Move back to America and try to get a job there (but what would husband do? This would also depend on what kind of contract he has two years from now. If he has a lifetime contract by then this won't make much sense unless I get lots of money).
6. Do something to try to up my income so that I can live decently in spite of high taxes. This would mean trying to quadruple my current income.
7. Buy up apartments I can rent out or start a B&B (you can have up to 5 properties you rent out without having to open a tax number and the tax is 20%).

Some combination of these could work as well. I need to think, plan, and act. The future feels scarey and a little depressing to me right now. I need to find a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment