Friday, July 8, 2011

Learning to lead, make money and be good

The first thing you should know about me is that I am a sucker. That is to say I am gullible, I trust nearly everyone, I am impulsive, a risk-taker, optimistic to a fault, and I do not read the fine print. That is what I was going to call this blog-- read the fine print, people. Do as I say, not as I do. But that was taken. 

Having said that, now look at the title of this entry. These are the things I have been thinking about lately. Can you do all three? Can you do the first two without being a jerk? Can you do all three at the same time? I am learning to lead, make money, and be good. The third item seems to be coming along okay-- I have had good models  in my life and happen to dislike bad people. Now I would like to reconcile my desire to be good with the freedom and autonomy that comes with creating wealth. 

On the money front I have to think in terms of the non-profit I run, which is an economic disaster-- hence the title. I took it over without truly understanding how bad the situation was, more on that later. Which is another reason I am a sucker, but I choose to see it this way: one person's sinking ship is another's opportunity. I jumped on that sinking ship and I am committed to turning it into lemonade. 

On the other hand, I also need to eat, I never want to be an employee again, and I never ever want to worry about money. 

So here is a beginner's guide to learning a few things about saving a company, being a good leader, a decent person and knowing a little something about money. 


No comments:

Post a Comment