Monday, July 25, 2011

Feeling the Fear

One of the things I'm reading about as far as jumping out of my low-earning habit is to go where you don't feel comfortable. I had just decided to do that when my friend Marina asked  if I could help her out with one of her jobs because she has so many things going on this week. That's part of the deal, too: recognizing when to say no so that you can free yourself up for bigger things or new opportunities. You can tell Marina is ahead of me and has already finished the book.

Anyway, while she was stressing out about how to finish everything, when she finally asked me and realized how happy I was, I think it put the situation into a new perspective. Sometimes saying no can be a positive thing. I normally would have said no to this kind of job, even though I desperately want to try it just because part of me thinks that I'm a big fake and that I will get found out if I tried it.

But then I think-- wait a minute, if Marina can do it, why can't I? Time to feel the fear and try something new. She was having other thoughts, though, like, what about that money I'm missing out on, and what if they like Karoline better and never call me again. See? We're all full of self doubt sometimes.

I assured her that we are partners and friends and colleagues and that there is enough work around for everyone. There is no reason for us to compete.

Only collaborate. Thank you Marina!

No comments:

Post a Comment