Monday, July 11, 2011

A little something about the Association

The Italian American Association in Trieste, Italy is an amazing place. When you walk in you feel the calm and comfort of a place filled with books. It has always been my refuge here, ever since I arrived 8 years ago. I knew I could come in and read and give my feet a rest between appointments downtown. All those books and magazines in English make me feel like I never left America sometimes.

The Association itself was started 50 years ago this year. We hope it will continue well into the future. Last year, around April, we were in danger of losing the apartment which houses the office and the library. In fact, the week I started as director, I received an eviction notice giving us 8 days to vacate the premises.

That week sucked.

As I write this, my 8-month old daughter is teaching herself how to crawl on the floor next to me. She is grunting a little, crying, turning herself over, getting herself up on one knee. Not so different from how Leo, the Association's new president, and I had to do last spring and summer.

Tough times. And so many uncomfortable moments. Like when I had to go to our sub-renters (who in theory were helping us pay the rent, but in practice the rent had not been paid in 6 months, and it was our fault. How could I not have been told that?) and say "I know you paid the rent, but you still may have to leave in 8 days..."

I wince when I think of it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment