Thursday, July 21, 2011

WANT FRIES WITH THAT SELF ESTEEM?

After my tax bomb the other day I decided it was time to shake it off and move on. As these things sometimes happen, Marina had coincidentally left me the original copy of Overcoming Undearning in the classroom of the company we both teach at and I read between classes. Anybody who isn’t rich should know, by the way, that the money thing is an emotional subject and that in order to get more, you have to come face to face with some dark, ugly stuff—repressed feelings, childhood, your relationship with money, and your self-worth. First step to changing my financial situation: the self-esteem test.

Check if the following items are true.

I blame someone else for my situation.
(Husband, kid, Italy, dog, hmm. yeah. CHECK, and I feel terribly guilty for admitting it!)

I constantly blame myself even if it’s not my fault.
I’m sorry! I’m sorry! My fault! Excuse me. CHECK.

I do what others want even if I don’t want to.
Um, ok, we can do that but, um, I thought that it would, um be nice, if, um, oh forget it, let’s just do what you want to. CHECK.

I hold myself back, or easily give in to avoid upsetting, hurting, angering, or offending someone.
Alright, you win, you’re right. Okay okay. Sorry. CHECK.

I let others demean or put me down.
I know I should be less superficial about money matters, I’m not the money type, I’m messy and disorganized, yeah, ok. CHECK.

I hold grudges or I’m easily angered.
Try not to. It’s me, not you. CHECK.

I’m reluctant to set lofty goals for fear I won’t attain them.
If your expectations are low you can’t get disappointed, right? CHECK.

I’m filled with big dreams but don’t follow through.
Hmmm. CHECK.

I’m unwilling to ask for what I want, often because I don’t even know.
This one. I don’t know. Hmm. Wait. CHECK.

I give up at the first sign of failure or hint of rejection
How about we start with this one for a change. CHECK, but not for long (SUCKITUP, STECK!).

I have no control over my time
This one, too. CHECK and change.

Looks like you need a shot of self-esteem, Sister!
Ouch. Double ouch. Triple ouch.  And, oddly, COMPLETELY surprising.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know you well, and haven't known you for a while - but the following through on big dreams thing? I think you sell yourself short. You're living in Italy for Pete's sake, married to an Italian, with a baby, and apparently you started your own business. I'd say you live your dreams way more than the average does. I'll be you have way more dreams than the average person too. Maybe you just have way more dreams than you can follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KK! Can I clone you??!!! You can comment here whenever you like!!! How nice to see you, old friend!!

    ReplyDelete