Monday, October 10, 2011

Money Group Meeting One


Last Thursday I invited a very nice accountant to come to our association to talk to whomever was interested (mostly my teacher friends with VAT numbers or others looking into getting one) about changes to VAT numbers for next year and answer our questions. We wanted to get straight answers instead of the eye-rolling I get from my own accountant whenever I ask him something. Here's what I learned.

1. Italian accounting is ambiguous.
2. Accountants don't understand everything.
3. In three more years I'm going to have to change VAT type and pay EVEN MORE for taxes and accounting.
4. When looking for an accountant in Italy the question to ask is "How much will COMPLETE SERVICE cost me per year?" This will protect us from hidden costs.
5. Tax deadlines change every year (WHAT?!). That explains why I am always late, I guess. Why not just do April 15??

Some positive things came out too. For example, we had similar questions and issues, so we have lots to talk about. We already set a date for this week to do the exercises from the first chapter of Overcoming Underearning. Our accountant friend will come back in about a month or so for a follow-up.

I loved our group this week. The girls who stayed after to make a plan for next week are just the types I want to hang out with to learn more about getting smart about personal finance.

No comments:

Post a Comment