Friday, October 14, 2011

What is missing in my life

I know it's a bit morbid,  but our book tells you to pretend you only have six months to live. You're supposed to write about what you would be doing, whom you would be with, etc. When it came up last night I didn't have much of a reaction to it until I heard what the others were saying they would do more of. The girls working in offices said they would immediately take sabbaticals (not quit) and travel around the world. The independents said they would continue doing their same work (including me) up to the end. I said I would get a small simple apartment (sans clutter of my current abode) in the city with lots of light (I have now decided it must have a fireplace).

I've been thinking about the question a lot today, though, and realized that there is one part of myself that I am doing nothing with these days: art. I think I should be doing some. My excuses for this are that I haven't done anything creative with my hands in so long I probably suck now, I am rusty, I would make crap.

So...

I have decided that I will allow myself to make crappy art every day for 10 minutes. Then, hopefully, I will get better until I make something less crappy and less crappy. I can afford ten minutes. Making crap in ten minutes doesn't feel like I'm wasting THAT much time, and, who knows, perhaps it will give me some much-missed creative satisfaction.

Hurrah for creating crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment