Monday, October 17, 2011

It's harder than ever to ask to be paid

I can do it, but I find it embarassing lately and I second-guess myself. In fact, when people ask me to give them an estimate on a job, I give the same prices (I haven't changed them in a really long time) I always do, but where a few years ago I felt completely comfortable talking about it, now I feel embarassed and a little voice in my head says "Is this too much?" I think this feeling is leftover from when Hubby wasn't working. I feel a heightened sense of empathy for others who may be experiencing their own problems. The problem is that I have this default feeling with EVERYONE, even those I KNOW are NOT having problems. I need to get over it, find my worth again. But it's not easy. I think I need to listen to tapes (because these things are always on TAPES, not on CDs) with ocean waves and positive mantras in a calming voice while I fall asleep "YOU ARE WORTH MILLIONS OF EUROS" "THE MONEY IS OUT THERE FOR THE TAKING" "SUCCESS IS INFINITE"

or perhaps just this one over and over:

"GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR *SS!! QUIT WORRYING ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE'S FINANCIAL SITUATION AND BRING HOME SOME BACON, SISTER!!"

1 comment:

  1. That's always the problem, dear K. I think you nailed it: don't worry about others (and I mean, don't pull their share of care on your shoulders). It's got NOTHING to do with kindness or being good. We can only be good to others if we are first good to ourselves, right? I think we tend to forget that. For example: I am sending out weekly reminders or phone calls to get outstanding invoices paid. At first I felt bad, but not anymore. It's their problem, not mine, to be ashamed of not paying in time. I shouldn't worry, and I won't. My share of the problem is making they pay me! :O

    ReplyDelete