Friday, October 14, 2011

Personal Finance for Smarties

Yesterday's women's financial group meeting was really interesting. It was so encouraging to share ideas. There was a lot of talk about buying a second piece of property as an investment. Our friend talked about how she bought three apartments (one at a time) in Cash! I loved what she had to say about saving money and upping your earnings and socking the extra in the bank. I also wrote this down in my notebook.

DON'T BE EMBARASSED TO MAKE A LOW OFFER.

I appreciated her openness to talk about numbers, how much things cost, etc. This is something I have noticed-- people who are comfortable with money don't mind telling you how much they spend on things. And it makes you able to open up about numbers because you know no one is going to judge you or make comments about it being too high or too low, etc.

We are so programmed NOT to talk about financial details (especially women, I am convinced it is a plot to keep us lower on the payscale) that it feels a little bit like getting naked when you actually start talking about them.

But it is also liberating to know that you CAN face the numbers in front of other people, and you feel better afterwards.

Everyone in our group has a different financial situation yet we still have a lot in commont. Desire to do well financially, self-doubt when it comes to managing financial matters, but also the other pressures we have in our lives.

We decided to meet again next week and talk more about the book we're reading. I am going to spend some time today doing the writing exercises, I think. I feel energized and excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment